The Project Leadership Assessmentis an innovative learning instrument that focuses on the necessary “people skills” by evaluating behaviour in five vital skill areas. This learning tool is perfect for anyone who has project management responsibilities, regardless of their title or reporting relationship to the project team.
• Identify project leadership strengths and areas for improvement
• Understand five interpersonal skills critical to effective project leadership
• Learn how to enable team members to complete their project work successfully
• Apply leadership skills at each project phase
• Develop action steps for leading projects
Project management is now becoming a mainstay of organisational life. And, just as it has evolved, so has the role of the project leader. The literature and research on project management identifies numerous skills that a project manager or leader should possess – both technical skills (such as planning, organising, scheduling, etc.), and “people skills.” The focus of the PLA is on the five important interpersonal skills for project leadership. These five skills are:
• Encouraging Open Communication
• Inspiring a Positive Outlook
• Influencing Effectively
• Managing Conflict
• Developing the Team
The successful project leader uses both technical and interpersonal skills to guide the efforts of the project team. Both sets of skills are needed to work through the Project Life Cycle, which consists of planning, managing the process, and wrap-up.
More detailed information about the PLA model and theory is included in the Facilitator Guide.
How It Works
Using a current project as a mental reference, participants respond candidly to 25 statements. The PLA also includes a Feedback component. Finally, a scenario activity and action planning enables project leaders to identify actions for building on their strengths and improving less-developed skills.
Facilitator Guide includes:
• Administrative guidelines
• Theoretical background
• Experiential Learning Methodology
• 2-hour workshop design with preparation checklist and step-by-step instructions
• Alternative training designs
• Blank training outline
• Optional activities
• Sample copy of the Participant Guide
• Sample copy of the Feedback Form
• CD-ROM containing Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation and reproducible masters including a Certificate of Achievement, Training Evaluation, and overhead transparency masters
• Convenient binder format