Optimising Your Decision-Making
When leaders face situations where they need to make critical decisions, they typically tend to search for the best ways to carry out a conscious strategy. However, there are times when disposing of the items in one’s in-basket often requires almost instantaneous decision making. In these moments, leaders need to pause for a few moments to decide before actually delving into the situation itself. In this sense, awareness precedes meaningful choice. The Participative Management Profile (PMP) provides employees with the exact guidelines needed to execute confident decisions.
How It Works
The PMP provides 20 typical work situations where the leader is in charge of choosing the most successful outcome. The respondent indicates one of four modes of decision making, and a profile is constructed that suggests the person's strengths and weaknesses in determining whether and how to involve others in decision making.
Uses and Applications
Participative Management Profile reflects on the four significant considerations that the leader should take into account in deciding how to involve his/her peers in making a given decision. These concepts are time, trust, importance, and acceptance and we have added a fifth consideration, teamwork, to reflect the desire of the leader to use a particular decision-making opportunity to create a higher level of effectiveness. The five considerations are put together to create the PMP Model shown below.
- Time: Whether there is a need for an immediate choice
- Trust: The degree to which people affected by the decision have confidence in one another
- Teamwork: The desire of the manager to improve the functioning of the work group.
- Importance: The criticality of the decision to the organisation
- Acceptance: Whether people are likely to have strong feelings about the decision or the process
By the end of this assessment, participants will:
- Learn an effective way to solve everyday problems
- Identify strengths and weaknesses during the decision-making process
- Create action plans for improvement