There are five important areas of supervisory competency described at length in the Competent Supervisor Trainers Guide. They are:
1) Setting Direction
2) Planning and Organisation
3) Coaching/Developing People
4) Measuring/Managing Performance
5) Maintaining Effective Relationships
The Competent Supervisor Trainers Guide provides sufficient information for a complete feedback workshop for participants who have completed the Competent Supervisor Questionnaire.
• Facilitators can put the whole subject of how to become a competent supervisor into a broader context in a brief explanatory presentation of 60-120 minutes.
• A half-day interactive workshop can be scheduled to more fully explain the instrument and explore some of the skill categories or clusters, as well as examine the questionnaire model in more detail.
• A feedback workshop can be made part of a full-day programme on leadership and supervisory skills.
Whatever format is chosen, this booklet provides a considerable amount of detailed background information relating to the instrument. Exercises and discussion activities have been included as well to help participants better understand what it will take to become a more competent supervisor.
There is enough material in the binder to vary the length and the shape of a feedback workshop. The basic two-hour programme can be lengthened or shortened to suit the organisation's needs or circumstances.
Dr. Jon Warner, B.A., M.B.A.