In ithis book the author examines the dynamics of communication, how to be effective, likely barriers, styles of communication and technology at work.
The Communicator's Pocketbook covers:
Communication: The Challenge
• Accepting the challenge
• Causes of failure
• Getting the balance right.
The Assumptions We Make
• Understanding the impact of your own and other people's assumptions
• Lessons to learn.
• Simplicity & complexity
• Has the message been received
• Use of emphasis, formality, humour, emotion
• Staying in control.
The Manager As Communicator
• Channel or gulf
• Messenger or masseur
• Involving others.
Barriers to Effectiveness
• What is effective communication
• Personal, organisational and process barriers
• The grapevine
• Overcoming barriers.
Managing Communication Channels
• The spoken word
• The written word
• Tips for success
• Visual and non-verbal communication
• Technologyy and Multi-media.
You as Communicator
• Conscious and good news communicators
• Communicating with individuals and groups.
The Communicator's Pocketbook concludes with a series of checklists that will enable one to take stock of communications skills and shortcomings and to put these into context at both an organisational level and a group or team level.
Illustrated by Phil Hailstone.