Illustrate the concept of team synergy with Black Bear, a challenging adventure simulation that addresses formulating a strategy under pressure and consensus decision-making. Participants experience first-hand the advantages of teamwork when they are asked to rank 10 backpack items and choose one of five strategy alternatives, first as individuals and then as a team. The concept of synergy is conveyed when the team results are shown to better those of an individual working alone.
- Learn how to manage and resolve group conflict
- Hone group problem-solving skills
- Improve communication
- Discover the advantages of consensus decision making
What to order: You will need 1 self assessment per participant. For maximum benefit, purchase 1 Facilitator Guide per trainer.
How It Works
This realistic roundtable simulation challenges groups to rank five strategy alternatives and 10 backpack items — first as individuals, and then as a team. First, as the facilitator, you’ll introduce the adventure scenario. Participants will then rank the alternatives and items on their own, using pressure-sensitive scoring forms. Next, each team conducts the same ranking process as a unit. Finally, you’ll lead the participants into a group action planning discussion, providing the team with the opportunity to apply the learning to the workplace.
Uses for Black Bear
- Illustrate the concept of team synergy
- “Break the ice” among new or conflicted teams
- Give teams a non-threatening opportunity to work together
- Help teams practice consensus decision-making
- Improve active listening, probing, and confronting behaviours in a realistic setting
- Train team leaders in team facilitation skills
- Open or close a learning session
- Introduce an organisational change, such as the transition to self-managing teams
- Interject a fun activity into an otherwise serious agenda
- Assess group member competence
- Supplement outdoor experiential learning
Note: Black Bear works best when participants are divided into teams of seven or fewer per table.
You will need 1 Self Assessment per participant. For maximum benefit, purchase 1 Facilitator Guide per trainer.
Team synergy, communication, team building skills, and decision making
Simulation: 15 minutes. Workshop: One hour and 45 minutes
HRDQ Research & Development Team