Effective leadership for difficult times
Leaders are people who do the right thing, and managers are people who do things right. Both roles are essential for organisational success, yet they are very different in their requirements. The Visionary Leader is designed to help you learn how you go about performing aspects of these roles in your own work as a leader. Even if you are not currently in a leadership role, the VL-Self can provide you with feedback regarding your leadership potential. In either case, the LBQ gives you an opportunity to discover some valuable information about your personal approach to the leadership process. You can then go on to make personal development plans so that you will be able to contribute more to the level of excellence in your organisation.
The Visionary Leader-Self Questionnaire measures the respondents'
• Use of Visionary Leadership behaviours
• Personal Visionary Leader characteristics
• Overall impact on their organisation.
Can be used in a number of ways
The VL-Self Questionnaire uses a 50-item questionnaire that measures the leader's perception of their leadership contribution. The 10 leadership scales provide feedback for the Three Core Elements of True Visionary Leadership. The comprehensive explanatory materials ensure real understanding of the scoring.
The Visionary Leadership Scales measure a leader’s perception on 10 different scales
• Focus (the ability to focus people’s attention on the key points of his/her vision)
• Communication (use of basic effective communication skills)
• Trust (consistent behaviour)
• Respect for self and others (giving people unconditional, positive regard)
• Risk (engaging in rational risk-taking)
• Bottom-line orientation (belief in one’s bottom-line impact on the organisation)
• Empowerment (use of power and influence to empower others)
• Length of vision span (thinking clearly over relatively long spans of time)
• Organisational leadership (having a positive impact on helping the organisation adapt to change)
• Cultural leadership (developing those values that will strengthen organisational functioning).
Many leaders and managers are unaware of how their behaviour affects other people or the organisation as a whole.
The Visionary Leader-Self Questionnaire helps your leaders to be more effective by identifying the strengths, limitations and impact of their leadership style.
It measures the extent to which the respondent uses visionary leadership behaviours; the degree to which he or she possesses the personal characteristics required of visionary leaders; and the extent to which the respondent is having a positive impact on his or her organisation.